Update on Tomato Late Blight

It looks like I might not lose my remaining tomato plants.  Last Saturday – 1 week ago today – I removed and burned all of the plants that showed severe symptoms.  But most of the plants had some part that looked infected, and instead of destroying them I pruned out the bad parts.  I have been spraying with Daconil, and a week ago I started also using Agrifos – a fungicide containing potassium salts of phosphorous acid.  This is a material that can possibly be used by organic gardeners.  I have used Agrifos experimentally, along with a material to enable it to penetrate the bark, on trees, and just learned it’s registered for food crops also.  In the past week I have seen no spread of the late blight disease in  my garden.

Oh, and by the way, I got my first ripe tomatoes this week.  The earliest in the summer I can ever remember.  They are on the Rutgers’ Mortons that are advertised to be an early ripener.  I guess they are!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s